Warning: The magic method QodePitchTwitterApi::__wakeup() must have public visibility in /customers/5/c/8/andrzejperkins.co.uk/httpd.www/wp-content/plugins/select-twitter-feed/lib/qode-twitter-api.php on line 91 Andrzej Perkins | 8 – Sevenoaks Town 2-1 VCD Athletic

8 – Sevenoaks Town 2-1 VCD Athletic

Isthmian League Division One South
Quite a lot of weather going on at this one; glorious sunshine sandwiched torrential hailstones, as well as a howling wind throughout.
The game had a strange atmosphere – there was just over 200 in, but it didn’t feel like many were that interested in what was going on on the pitch. Maybe I’ve watched too much Essex Senior League football, with 22 men doing little else but shout at each other for a couple of hours.
With so few games on, there was a good turn-out from the hopping fraternity at this one – Futbology showed nine others when I checked in midway through the second half – perhaps that explains it.
This one took a long while to get going. Both teams spent the first half-hour or so pumping long balls out for throws. Once they cottoned on to it being a bit windy, things settled down a bit.
VCD dominated the first half, with Bode Anidugbe pulling the strings in midfield. They kept things simple enough until they got to the Sevenoaks box, but then started to over-play things and never really tested Patrick Lee in goal.
After half time VCD seemed to lose the attacking intent they had in the first 45, so it was a bit of a surprise when Robert Hylton-Bartley headed home unmarked from a corner. They could have sealed the three points, but Ainsley Everett made an absolute dog’s dinner of a one on one chance.
Everything positive from Sevenoaks came through the two wingers – Ryan Hayes and Tyrell Richardson-Brown. Hayes’ physique was more akin to a lumbering centre half, but VCD allowed him far too much time on the ball, and it cost them. His goal-bound shot looped over the stranded keeper after taking a couple of massive deflections to pull Sevenoaks level on 86 and with pretty much the last kick of the game he crossed for Andrew Pugh to head in unmarked at the back post.
VCD were furious, calling for offside, but in vain. A video on the Sevenoaks Twitter looks to have him just about on. As soon as they kicked off again, the referee blew for full time.
The Sevenoaks supporters who were closest tended to agree with their opposition. A draw would have been a fair result, on balance.
Greatness Park is a compact but serviceable ground, with upgrades in 2017 (including a 3G pitch) bringing it up to step 4 standard.